Monday, April 13, 2020

Author Spotlight: Jason Reynolds

Jason Reynolds has become one of my favorite authors in the last couple of years. He's written some amazing books, both novels and poetry, that youth (and adults) should be reading.


Fast Facts

  • He found inspiration in rap music and began writing poetry at 9 years old
  • He didn't read a novel cover to cover until he was 17 years old
  • He graduated from the University of Maryland with a bachelor’s in English
  • He's currently serving as the National Ambassador for Young People's Literature
  • His book Ghost was a National Book Award Finalist for Young People's Literature
  • When I Was the Greatest won the Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe Award for New Talent
  • Long Way Down, a novel in verse was named a Newbery Honor Book, a Printz Honor Book, and Best Young Adult Work by the Mystery Writers of America's Edgar Awards. John Legend will be producing a movie adaptation of this book with Universal Pictures

My Favorite Books


The Track Series is FANTASTIC. There are four books in the series, each told from a different person's point of view. From the publisher, "Ghost. Patina. Sunny. Lu. A fast but fiery group of kids from wildly different backgrounds, chosen to compete on an elite track team. They all have a lot to lose, but they also have a lot to prove, not only to each other, but to themselves. 


This book truly is for everyone. The poem was originally performed at the Kennedy Center for the unveiling of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. It is a fast read and a rallying cry to the dreamers of the world. It's a good one to go back to whenever you need a pick me up. 

Do you have a reluctant reader at home?

Here's a direct quote from Jason's website:
"So, I'm a writer. And when I say I'm a writer, I mean in the same way a professional ball player calls himself an athlete. I practice everyday and do the best I can to be better at this writing thing, while hopefully bringing some cool stories to the world. The stories are kinda like my slam dunks. Except, I'm dunking words. In your FACE! Ha!

Here's what I know: I know there are a lot - A LOT - of young people who hate reading. I know that many of these book haters are boys. I know that many of these book-hating boys, don't actually hate books, they hate boredom. If you are reading this, and you happen to be one of these boys, first of all, you're reading this so my master plan is already working (muahahahahahaha) and second of all, know that I feel you. I REALLY do. Because even though I'm a writer, I hate reading boring books too."

So what's new for him?

Starting April 13 he'll be doing a new video series on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:30 am with the Library of Congress called Write. Right. Rite. each video will feature a unique writing prompt for your kids. Or you could use them as a conversation starter for your dinner table. Click here to see the announcement: Library of Congress Announcement

For more information about Jason Reynolds and his books visit his website: jasonwritesbooks.com.

If you need another nudge that Jason Reynolds is an author you and your kids should be reading, look at the book dedication for Nic Stone's January release Clean Getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fast Five Fiction: May the 4th Be With You

It's Friday and time for Fast Five Fiction! Each week I share five fiction books: new books, notable books, books around a common theme....